10:10 AM

I'm Sorry, I'm going HOW FAR??

Last night when I got home, Ray made dinner (HURRAY!!!) and then we went for a drive. I have the route map for my bicycle ride for Sunday and we thought it would be nice for me to have an approximate sense of where I'll be going.

The ride is 40 kilometers which I've been saying all along should be no problem at all. But Holy CRAP, that is FAR! By about a third of the way through the map I started to have a bit of a panic attack...which escalated the further that we drove and turned into a crazy amount of self doubt that climbed onto the panic turned into a whole ball of mess. Well...not really....well...ya, sort of! 40km is frigging FAR! It would be the equivilant of riding my bike to and from work three times!

I'm relying on the fact that they say it's an average of a 2 hour ride...and averages are figured out based on people of all ages and fitness levels completing the course...which means that since I'm reasonably fit, it shouldn't take me tooooo long to do it.

My biggest worry about the whole thing isn't really the distance, it's fuel. I am the sort who, when active, burns through calories really fast and I'm not really interested in bonking on the side of the DeBoeville dyke in the middle of frigging nowhere. So on the way home from our scenic drive yesterday we stopped at Planet Organic and picked up two Luna bars. I will also peel and pack an orange, a banana, a couple extra insulated bottles of water and a G2 drink. Total calories that I'm taking with me are about 300 and I expect to burn abput 750 during the ride. There will also be tonnes of food there before and after so I think it should be fine. I really hope it'll be fine. It'll totally be fine. Right? eep.

Something else that I've decided today...well....something I've been thinking about for quite awhile now but just finally meshed in my head. I'm going to train for and complete a Half Marathon. I found one in Seattle that is in July. While I will not be attending this year's event, I thought that next year I will do that. It's a Ladies Only, Chocolate and Champagne Half Marathon put on my See Jane Run. Since you only really TRAIN for the event 12-14 weeks prior, I thought that for the next year I would keep that Half Mary in the back of my head during my workouts etc...and do some stuff now that will help make sure I don't become injured during the actual run training. That means improving my posture, strengthening the muscles around my knees and in my back, training the shin splints away etc. Then, next April I should be set to start the actual Half training.

I'm kind of excited. I know it's a loooong way away, over a year, and anything can happen and plans can change...but I've been thinking about doing a half marathon for awhile now and when I saw the Chocolate and Champagne one in Seattle, I figured that it was a sign that this was my event...booze and chocolate, how can that NOT be a sign?

Tonight after work I'm doing my interval training on the stationary bike...I usually do about 45 minutes of interval hill training, it's a hard workout but I'm up for it. I was supposed to go this morning but when the alarm went off at 4am, I just couldn't do it. My pillow was so soft, I could hear the rain on the back deck and Ray was breathing gently onto my cheek which felt so innocent and snuggly, I just couldn't get up. So, since we have no plans tonight, I moved gym-morning to gym-after-work. What is the goal? Fit, Health, Weigh loss. Does this still serve my goal? Yes. And even more so because getting out from under my blankets and away from my sweetheart this morning would have bred resentment and anger....not healthy...not in keeping with the goals.

PS. I don't think I mentioned it here. My mom and I did the 5k in Port Moody on Mother's Day. I ran it in 33:49 (PERSONAL BEST!!!!) and came in 182/233 people...6th out of 12 in my age category. My mom did 38:28 and came in 200/233...last in her age category, but holy crap, she smoked it!

0 comments: