8:15 PM

A Big Update, With Pictures

It's been a couple of days since I've updated, I'm sure you're all dieing to hear how the bike race went. Remember, it was a 40km trail ride, rain or shine. Well, unfortunately it rained...and rained and rained. I refused to get discouraged though and Saturday evening we added some gadgets to Pedals and I packed up her saddle bags and my rain gear and refused to let the weather get me down.





Sunday morning we arrived bright and early, I was excited and ready to go. The race started sharp at 10am and it went great. For approximately 3km. And then I took a wrong turn and ended up riding 3km out of my way, turning around and riding back. No problem. I was a little upset about my stupidity but all was well, I was back on track...and the blabber mouth stranger-lady who had been right behind me wafting enough perfume to fell a horse, well she was gone and I was alone. Excellent! (That's me in the white behind the dude in the yellow)

It started to rain a bit harder and I realized I was probably the dead last person due to my mis-turn. Coming up to approximately kilometer 8 I was coming over a wooden bridge which turned down the the right and into a bit of soft gravel. I figured I was going a bit too fast and didn't want to hit the soft gravel so I attempted to slow down...and that's where the whole day went for a shit. I locked up the front tire, the bike bucked me off, I hit the side of the bridge with my shoulder, bounced off, landed on my left hand and left knee and slid about 10 feet. Thank GOD for the raingear I was wearing, it saved me leaving my skin behind on the bridge. I was covered in grit and green slime, my shoulder was flaming and my hands were throbbing. I was fortunate that a very nice stranger happened upon me and helped me to put the chain back on my bike and send me on my way. I rode to approximately kilometer 25 and had no choice but to stop and take my rain gear off. The tension on the rainpants against my rapidly swelling knee became too painful to ignore.


Ultimately I ended up finishing the 40km in 2 and a half hours and had I not gotten lost and then had an accident, I should have finished in well under 2 hours.












That night my knee went ballistic and continued to swell and my shoulder seized up. Today I went to my chiropractor




who relocated my partially dislocated shoulder and did a couple things to my knee which have drastically reduced the swelling. I'll be back in fighting form in no time!



















In happier news, we managed to limp through the flower store this afternoon and I got my bedding plants for our gardens. So pretty...much prettier than the big bruise flower I'm growing on my knee!





Bike racing isn't for me, I'll stick with jogging, seems safer!

1 comments:

Tara said...

It's over a week later now. I hope you're healing up and feeling better...