7:05 AM

Two Breakfasts, No Sweat

Morning!

This morning I'm going to give you two excellent, super easy and very healthy breakfasts, one of which you've probably never thought of. I also want to talk about hydration. Ready?

First, since the word 'Eat' is in my blog title, the food. On early morning gym days I always have two breakfasts. The first one is at 4am and I've struggled to find something that is quick, warmish, easy and not terrible to choke down in the middle of the night!



That, my friends, is a mashed sweet potato, covered with a blop of yogurt, about a quarter cup of previously frozen berries (so as to be nice and juicy) and then topped with a drizzle of honey (you don't need the honey if you don't want it, the potato and the yogurt are quite sweet already). To easily make this breakfast:

The night before, wash and stab a sweet potato several times. Wrap in two layers of papertowel and then soak with water. Squeeze out some of the excess, so it's not dripping, and then microwave on high for approximately 6 minutes...shorter for smaller potatoes, longer for larger. You want your potato to be somewhat smooshy when you get it out of the microwave. Cut it in half and scoop the insides out into two seperate bowls. Leave on counter overnight. In the morning, mash the potato, heat in the microwave for about 45 seconds, top with yogurt, berries and honey and breakfast number one is ready to eat!


Breakfast number two is what I have after I've been to the gym, once I get to work. The cooking procedure is hijacked from my sister but the add ins are mine.



Again, the night before, put 1/4 cup oats in a thermos, add a little more than 3/4 cup boiling water, some raisins, pecans/walnuts if you want them and then screw the lid on and leave overnight. In the morning, dump into bowl, microwave for 45 seconds, top with sliced banana and then my personal favourite is to pour ED Smith No Sugar Added pancake syrup on top. It's only 60 cal for 3 tbsp and it makes your oats taste a little like a banana pancake. Delicious!

Now that the food is out of the way, I need to discuss hydration...or more specifically my apparant lack of it. I drink water and rooibos tea all day long. My estimation is that I have anywhere between 2-3 litres of fluid a day. Last Monday when I did Long Jog (which was 7km), I came home and was sick to the point I thought I was getting the flu. Only after some suggestions did I discover it was more than likely a little dehydration. So this Monday, in preparation for Long Jog (to be 8km), I drank lots on Sunday and lots on Monday to ensure that all fluid levels were topped up. During my jog I also make sure to take a few good gulps of water every few minutes. But, alas, it made no difference. Around Mile 3.5, I started to feel a little funny, I had again, mostly stopped sweating. It was the strangest sensation, I could almost watch the sweat evaporate from my wrists up my arms. My skin got very dry and hot and tight and by Mile 4.5 I was pretty much completely dry and my face was tight and itchy. I persevered (dumb in hindsight) to the 5th mile and then called it done. I can't say I felt sick like last week but there's definitely something not quite right.

I sweated lots at the beginning of my run, not profusely, just about average for me and then all of a sudden, nothing and I felt it dry up from my extremeties all the way up to my back and my face. When I came home after showering at the gym, Ray felt my skin and said it felt weird. Strangely dry...dry like no skin oils, parched sort of.

I'm wondering if Gatorade would help while I'm exercising? Or perhaps it's possible that anything over about 6km is just too much for me right now? Maybe I should hold steady at 6 for awhile? I'm really not sure. I know dehydration is dangerous and I also know that I have a heart condition so I can't be screwing around with it. I've never experienced this before though so I'm not really sure what to do to fix it.

Anyway, I only felt a little nauseated before bed last night and the gym this morning was totally fine. I did an elliptical warm up and then a good upper body free weight session for an hour and then abs, butt and weighted power squats. Smiley face for yesterday and today!

See you tomorrow!
PS. Let me know if you try the sweet potato for breakfast!

2 comments:

Tara said...

Considering any previous conversations you and I have had about weight this may sound sacreligious, but... have you considered upping your sodium intake the night before a Long Jog? It might help your body retain some water during your exercise. I don't know a lot about it but I have heard of this working.

Otherwise, I say definitly go for the sports drink for refueling.

Shannon said...

Ya, I thought about that after yesterday's weirdness and I'll probably go that way, especially for the 40km ride I have coming up. I thought I would have had it under control with making a conscious effort to hydrate, but obviously not.

Eat more sodium....that really is against all the weight loss wisdom, isn't it?!