8:13 AM

That Wasn't So Bad!

AFC Days One through Four were pretty easy as far as motivation and getting going. Day One was a rest day (as though I planned it like that!), spinning on Saturday, rest day on Sunday, Long Jog on Monday after work. All fairly easy to do as far as actually getting there and getting going.

Before I continue, I'll break in here and say that Long Jog yesterday went VERY well. Going into it I was a little upset from a previous telephone conversation but as I started to jog I just left it all behind me, drowning it in my sweat! I love to watch Law & Order: SVU and it happens to play on at the same time as I jog when I go after work. I got 4 miles (6.4km) done in just under 45 minutes with no rest stops. That is a distance and time-without-stopping record for me and I'm very proud! Next week I'll keep the speed the same and increase the distance by 10%. Then the next week my plan is to drop the distance back to what I ran this week but increase my speed by 10%. I have to get a little faster or my Long Jog workouts are going to get much too lengthy, timewise.

(10% is the sticky number, btw, for increasing either speed or distance in a week to avoid injury. Don't do both at the same time and don't do more than 10%.)

Anyway, this morning was going to be the litmus test of whether or not I'm off to a decent start with AFC. My alarm was set to go off at 4am and to add insult to early morning injury, I had killer cramps all night and they hadn't let up by the ding-dong of the clock. I decided that there is no such thing as perfect and that meant that I would keep my AFC gym date this morning. I made a deal with myself that if I still felt horrible after my workout that I would go back home to bed and call in sick. Turns out? Exercise helps (as does Aleve!) and here I am, drinking coffee at my desk, an excellent workout under my belt and another smiley face for my AFC schedule!

Tonight is yoga which I'm pretty happy about, it's a totally different kind of attention that I give to my body...difficult in some respects but in a much different manner than regular exercise. I'm determined to like yoga....because I like the result of not having little aches and pains and twinges every time I move or twist or bend. It's also a nice quiet time out of the house and I get to do something nice for myself that is a little out of my comfort zone.

AFC Day Five is under my belt!

0 comments: