7:28 AM

Pushing Weights ~ A Book Review

Morning! After yesterday's ridiculous start to the day, the whole thing just got a lot worse. Honestly, that was probably the worst day on record for the last while.

I really do thank myself that I have been exercising regularly for awhile because as horreeeeble as yesterday was, I can imagine that it would have been a whole lot worse had I not been slightly endorphin-medicated that morning.


Anyway, yesterday is over, my moment of weakness has passed, I'm back to soldiering on. This morning was weights again (Tuesdays and Thursdays). Ray and I sat down last night and reviewed our weight lifting book and made a better and more organized/thorough plan for me to follow.


I would like to take a moment and explain this book because if you can't afford a personal trainer and you don't know what weights to lift or what exercises to do in order to target certain muscles, this book is for you! It costs about $30 (we bought it in the US) and is extremely comprehensive.


It's seperated into sections, Arms, Shoulders, Chest, Back, Legs, Bum, and Stretching. Each exercise shows the proper position and names some of the key muscles. In the main picture it shows in a reddish highlight what main muscle you're working. In the top right corner though, it shows all the muscles that are engaged when doing the exercise. Some moves are shown with alternates or variations in order to change the target area.


I realize I'm going on about it but if you're scared or unsure or confused by free weights and weight machines, get this book, go to your gym and see what you can do. (I take the book with me to the gym and consult it as needed while exercising) The book provides enough variation that it would be difficult to become bored. For triceps for instance, there are at least 10 different exercises (with variations) so that you can change it up.


So, I rocked Day Seven in the weight room for about an hour this morning and that is the end of my early morning workouts for this week.


A friend posted a status update yesterday that got me to thinking; "We always want what we can't have." and I decided to change that lament to; "We can have what we go and get.". Decide what you want, marry it with how much effort you're willing to put in and then get after it.


Oh, and PS! No more key!

0 comments: