9:52 AM

Day Fourteen

Remember yesterday how I said I slept through my alarm clock for 3 minutes? Weeeellll.....today was worse. I didn't so much sleep through it as turned it off when it blared and then fell right back asleep as though it was Saturday morning. I woke at 4:45 and realized that I could no longer save AFC Day Fourteen. I have chalked Day Fourteen up as my No Way Day although I really believe that if I'm so tired as to be incoherent enough to not remember that I have to GET UP when the black box starts to make noise, then I probably need the rest day. Right? RIGHT?!

So Day Fourteen is toast, no smiley face and I would like to talk about something else. Costco. I love Costco and I really believe that Costco can be a saving grace for healthy eating. It can also be your worst nightmare as far as unhealthy crap that is passed off as tasty and nutritious. Back in my...umm...unhealthy days, I used to LOVE Costco for the gyozas and the pizzas and the cheeses and the chips and 'veggie' chips and the soups and soup mixes etc. Oh, the trailmix and the power bars and the tamari almonds, oh my!

Even though those days are well and truly behind me, it doesn't mean that Costco is off limits, nope! Yesterday my little foray into Costco included 4 pounds of raisins, 10 pounds of steel cut oats (for only $7 and they are from the town I live in, yay carbon footprint!), two containers of Tribe hummus, a box of multigrain crackers, a big bag of raw almonds, mini wheats (for Ray) and a large bag of jasmine rice.

Yes, quite a bit different from what I used to buy there....less fat, mostly whole or minimally processed foods that are all delicious and have all sorts of nutritional value!

It's funny when I think about the old cart contents, they appear in my mind as absurdly bright, shiny and neon, a bit alien. The new cart contents show up in my mind as more neutral, subdued and natural...real. Go figure.

Anyway, Day Fourteen is done, if not quite as successfully as I would have preferred. We're having homemade Garlic Lime Chicken Fajitas for dinner tonight (made by me) and a 50 calorie real fruit Del Monte popsicle for dessert. And, if I get everything done that needs doing and it's not pouring rain (or snowing like this morning), I may take Pedals out for a ride.

0 comments: